Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 2

To You,

So you figured out how to break into the hospital phone system by watching the nurses key in the code .... and you're calling me and calling me.

I noticed there was a policeman sitting outside your door, one for each patient in the little "containment ward" of the ER. What are they thinking, letting you use the phones? Oh, you've probably made buddies with them.

I guess it's the Irish in you, that you can talk anyone into anything. Maybe if I hadn't been so gullible I wouldn't have believed that you'd stop when we got married. Why didn't I think "What if he stopped before we got married . . .what if we waited to get married until he's sober." I think I was afraid I'd lose you.

The funny thing is, I lost you anyway . . . at least you lost yourself.

I really don't want to talk to you. I got home at about 2 a.m. -- you're not at all concerned about me, or the kids. But you're still high so WHATEVER!!

I am so glad that I started going to co-dependent recovery meetings 11 years ago. It has taken me this long to get the courage to follow through for longer than a few weeks of separation. I'm turning you over, to God and to the folks who work with screwed up addicts. Maybe they can do something with you.

They can take their time, it feels good to go to sleep and not wonder if my vehicle will still be in the driveway when I wake up, or if you will sneak in at 4 am. and take a 45 minute shower or if my debit card will be gone. And my gas. I'm glad you're far, far away.

From Me

No comments:

Post a Comment