Thursday, May 21, 2009

Finding a meeting

I found the recovery meetings by looking in the library for books on addiction. I found "How Al-Anon Works: for families and friends of Alcoholics." I read it through. Twice. And thought: They've definitely got something here, but I'm not understanding how this applies to me.

So I went to a local Co-Anon meeting, for families and friends of cocaine addicts. I stayed for 6 years, learning about the 12 steps and traditions, and learning how to help others.

Then we began Celebrate Recovery at our church, and I jumped in to help with the co-dependent meetings, worked the 12 step study (a one-year course) a few times, and continue to do that today.

I strongly urge anyone with a loved one using or drinking, to get help for yourself. The help is there -- you just have to reach out and take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment